lunes, 6 de julio de 2015

Yabba Dabba Doo!


(This blog pretends to relate my experience about coding in Java, after being completed 300 hours of learning/coding in that program language.)

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Three hundred hours later, I was able to develop an App using Java as a programming language. SolumGraf V2.0 is an App (first version available in Spanish ) to draw a soil column and calculate some standard soil test performed at the laboratory.
But this blog is not about the App itself,but about my first experience coding in Java.

I will never forget that year,1982. Was a soccer fever year, with the World Cup going on in Spain and of course, how to forget the great amount of sadness I felt as a kid, after the defeat of that great Brazilian soccer team commanded by Zico. In addition, in 1982 I got my coding very first experience, using BASIC, even so, my first code line ever written was : 10 REM * *Draw and Color test**. ( therefore, should I say, that was my first experience with the English language as well,since all the programming languages are based on it.)
Back in that time, a friend of mine, a brilliant kid that lived in the same block as mine,got his first personal computer, a Synclair machine, so we expend a great amount of time coding in BASIC , building up great stuff with LEGO and playing chess.... and watching the World Cup of course.

Later on, during the high school,I had a great time coding in BASIC using a CASIO PBX-770 beautiful machine that my daddy gave me as a birthday present; then during the university epoch, studying civil engineering I learned Pascal as a part of the academic program.
 But even so I decided to code my first program in Visual Basic, back in the early 90's : FlexiPav, a program to design flexible pavements; in those days in Colombia, there were available just two programs to design flexible pavements: Alice a French program and Depav an interface developed by "Los Andes University" running an internal algorithm of an American software, therefore I decided to go straight to the point and create an algorithm in order to solve the matrix of flexibility in a flexible pavement mechanism from scratch , so FlexiPav provided the required algorithm to solve the matrix of flexibility/stiffness for a flexible pavement, as well as a friendly interface for the engineers to interact with ( smooth and nice I/O GUI in today's terms ).
So, coding in Java have been a great experience, the object oriented language is extremely efficient and the modern editors make easier to accomplish any task. I experienced Eclipse and Netbeans editors, both of them extremely friendly and easy to use.
The great quantity of resources ("build in" methods or "build in" subroutines, in the old fashion way terminology) available in Java today is quite amazing and allows the user to save plenty of coding time and focus in the essential.  
Additionally, This was my first experience with an object oriented language, which is the logic structured behind Java. 
Bottom line,I would like to summarize the experience developing my first App in Java with that famous expression constantly mentioned in the Flintstones :  
Yabba Dabba Doo!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario